Pages


Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 21 91 miles Larned Ks. to Dighton Ks.

any history buffs out there

are these haybales for us or did pa bale them

Marketta

strait ,flat, hot and windy (Kansas)
Another incredible hot and windy day in South Kansas. A part of me says slow down and ride smart, avoiding the hottest parts of the day. Another part of me says forge ahead and get into the higher and cooler elevations of the rockies. One option may be to start well before dawn, before the winds and heat kick in. We will see what tomorrow brings. I met 2 angels today. Following the directives of my maps there was suppose to be a food stop 30 miles into the days ride. There was none. When I inquired as to its where the store was Miss Marketta Randolph(angel one) offered to fill my water bottles with ice and water. I readily accepted. Since the next town was only 12 miles away i thought that i would be O.K.. Upon realizing that the next towns convenience stores were closed on Sunday, Curtis (angel two) filled my cooler with ice , gatorade, and water bottles. I don't know what i would have done without these fine folks. Some brighter news. I have now completed 1/2 of the journey. A little over 1900 mile in 21 days. I don't feel as if i am trying to race. I really just want to get done. I have spoken with several riders along the way who are doing maybe 1/2 my daily average. They are camping every night, cooking meals, setting up camp and all that. I still cannot imagine camping when the night time temps do not go below 80. To each there own.

4 comments:

  1. Yay for nice people! Glad you didn't shrivel up in Kansas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Vinn ! Cousin Greg here,, jeeeez,, you can't sit still can you ???? what's next after this ??? Good luck dude,,,, "May the wind be always at your back"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Greg! Great to hear from you. The wind may not be at my back but it is sure at my side. Thanks for the look. Pass this site along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes kirstin! Thank goodness for good people.

    ReplyDelete