Pages


Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 20 108 miles Newton Ks. to Larned Ks.

fields of sunflowers

tin man mailbox (Kansas)

cooler on bike

everybody in the pool
Another super scorcher of a day. This is one aspect of this trip that I have no control over at all. The locals tell me that this is the worst heat wave that they can recall. A typical July day would be 90. It was 106 when I pulled up to my hotel today. I stopped at a "Kwik Stop" to pick up a cooler with ice to carry extra drinks with me as the convenience stores are sometimes placed too far apart. This seemed to work well. I had to laugh when my neighbor Jim Taylor asked me where the cooler is going to fit. Well there it is. Although it is not filled with beer. Maybe when i get home.

5 comments:

  1. A few more days of Kansas heat - then cooler (and mountainous) Colorado. Looks like you're about halfway. Have you reached that point yet? Can you see the Rockies yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you go swim with the cows?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I did not go swimming with the cows. But I was tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Matt! As of today (Sunday) I have made the 1/2 way point. Can not see the rockies. At this point I think I would prefer the climbing of the rockies to this unbearable, unrelenting, windswept South Kansas heat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your doing great Uncle Vinny! I absolutely love the picture of the sunflower field. Keep on peddling, we are watching :)

    ReplyDelete